Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Video End of the Year Reflection

Runaway

For the music video remake, I worked together with two of my other classmates. We first decided on a plausible music video that we thought we could remake. We chose Runaway by Kanye West although it was a challenge. Once we had picked out our video we began the rest of our preproduction steps. We created a cast and crew list, multiple beat sheets, multiple storyboards, and a lyrics sheet. We then made a schedule for when we would shoot the video. The original video features many dancers and Kanye playing the piano in a suit and tie. One of my partners wore his suit and tie for the video and we were able to get some dancers from our school's dance team for the video. Props for the video were our own such as cash, wine, and Rolexs. We shot the video in our school's courtyard and tried to use the six shot system, lighting, and timing to make the video as best as possible. We also used a Phantom4 drone to record some of our footage of the dancers from a bird's eye view. On a later day we recorded shots of our Kanye riding on top of a jeep using our Phantom4 drone. Once finished recording our footage we edited it in PremierePro and sequenced the video how we wanted. From start to finish the video took about 3 weeks to make. Overall my partners and I were very pleased with the final film. The final edit of the video was on youtube, but was removed due to copyright issues. I think I did a good job of managing my time with this film and that is one of the reasons it is some of my best work. I did as much editing as my group would let me on this project and tried to follow general guidelines like no "jump cuts". I think for future films I can try to be more cinematic while filming and look for more interesting and unique shots.


17 Again

This assignment was to recreate a movie trailer that's plot revolved around high school. We began by picking a trailer. My group chose the film 17 Again. Next we created story boards and laid out every shot. We then created a script of dialog from the real trailer for each shot. We also created a cast list and a list of props that we needed for the film. Finally we began filming each shot that was on the storyboards. We were unable to remake certain shots from the real trailer, because they needed special effects or were to complicated for our budget and time frame. Once we got all the film we needed we began editing our trailer. Each of us edited the film ourselves to created 3 different videos. There was little variation between the videos because we tried to replicate the original trailer. I was not very happy with the final product of mine. We were rushed to film because we did a bad job of our project management and ran out of time. In future projects I will do a better job of managing my time but continue to take my time in the editing process to add the little details. Although I was not happy with the final product, I really enjoyed making this project and hope to gain more experience doing similar projects. I still need to work on my cinematography and the types of shots I get.



Wither

This project was the most challenging project I've had all year. The goal was to create a short film that would have an Act 1, Act 2, and Act 3 and that would last about five minutes. We began by having all four people in our group write a treatment and then a script for a short film. Once finished we decided who's would be the best fit for our time frame and skill level. After picking the script we would use, we began storyboarding the whole short film. We made a preproduction schedule and list of all actors, locations, and props we would be using. Me and one other group member shot and edited the whole film by ourselves. We chose to do our film about a boy named Cameron who becomes depressed and lonely when he moves to a new school. He meets a girl he likes and things look like they're going to get better but after everything that has happened and all the pressure, Cameron takes his own life. It's an interesting twist in the film that I think is unexpected. I was forced the play the role of Cameron when one of our actors fell through. I believe my acting in the film makes it seem more unrealistic and cheesy due to my lack of acting skills. We faced a lot of challenges throughout production including losing an actor, scheduling film times, and getting all the shots we needed. I sequenced most of the film and did my best to make it look good in the editing process. This was one of my favorite projects because of the challenge and the creativity. It forced me to step it up and do my best although I think we still came up short. The length of the video is much shorter than we intended and I think that we lost some of the foreshadowing and the events leading up to the climax that were important to the telling of the story. I wouldn't change much about this film other than the length. I think my cinematography improved and that you can see it in my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment